Coconut Rice

After having breakfast I was just sitting and reading the newspaper and realized that it was time to cook lunch... When I asked my children they said make something delicious...  I was feeling a bit lazy and wanted to just make rice and a curry... but was also worried that children may be a bit upset about the rice dish that I would serve them as they are not very fond of rice:(.

Without uttering about what I plan to cook, I decided to make Coconut Rice and Soya Masala Curry for lunch today...

Coconut rice is a very simple, flavorful dish that goes great with curries, stir-fries, chicken curry etc..   Coconut is used is almost all the South Indian dishes and this dish tastes  yummy.  I added some more coconut to give this dish that richness & taste!

I made Soya Chunks Curry which almost tasted like chicken curry and was a good dish that complimented with this rice!

When I served lunch it was around 1:30 pm and I guess both the kids were hungry also... I was surprised when both of them asked for the second serving and said Mom.. this is really tasty... you make this dish instead of plain rice :).  My son added.. when is Master Chef Season 5... you must participate in that contest... :) 

We all enjoyed our meal with the Soya Masala Curry which was followed by Watermelon Jelly!

Now let's get to the detailed recipe to cook this dish...

Ingredients :

Rice - 1 glass
Fresh grated coconut - 1 1/2 cup
Mustard for Tempering
Urad Dal - 2 tbsp
Grated Ginger - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 4-5 cut into 2 pcs
Curry leaves - 10 leaves
Salt to taste3
Oil - 2 tbsp
Corrainder leaves for garnishing

Method :

Wash the rice and keep aside for 10 minutes.  Now add enough water to the rice some salt and pressure cook up to  4 whistles.  Once it is cool, put the rice in a plate and allow to cool for some time.

In a Kadhai, add oil and mustard and urad dal.  Once the Urad dal is light brown, add the grated ginger and saute.  Now add red chillies and curry leaves and saute.  Add the grated coconut and saute for some time and ensure that it does not get brown.  To this add the rice and mix well.  Check for salt and add if required.  Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with any curry of your choice.





99999

Comments

Popular Posts