Sambhar

Sambhar is a dish which is prepared in most of the South Indian homes and yes the taste differs from house to house:) The goodness of Toor dal and assorted vegetables, Sambar  is nutritious and so versatile that it can be taken with rice and any South Indian Breakfast / Snack.

I make Sambhar on all weekends as we all have holiday.   I make it in large quantity for breakfast and would also serve it in the afternoon for lunch!   My husband is a big fan of Sambar and when I serve him Sambar with Idli / Dosa / Rice, he would comment... I married you as I was very sure that I would not miss this dish that my mother often prepared for me :).

I make Sambhar in 2 different ways, one with fresh ground masala and the other is Instant Sambar with Sambar Powder and spices.

This recipe is the instant method which is posted for all those friends who have tasted my Sambar and want to try it out!

Ingredients :

Toor dal or Masoor Dal  1 cup (soak in water for 1/2 hour)
Water - 2.5-cups
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 tsp
Carrot - 1, Cut into long medium pieces
Potato - 1 small-medium, cubed
Drumstick - 2, cut lengthwise
Ash Gourd - 1/2 piece
Tomato - 1 large, sliced
Ladies finger (Okra) - 5 cut lengthwise
Tamarind - size of a lime (adjust the qty as per your taste) (soak in water)
Sambar powder - 2 tbsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp (you may add more if you require it spicy)
Corriander powder - 1 tbsp
Small onion - 5, sliced finely (you can also use big onions - 1)
Red chilly - 2
Mustard - ¼ tsp
Curry leaves
Onion - 2 tbsp finely cut
Salt
Oil

Method:

Soak the dal for half hour.  Wash and cook the dal with 1/2 tsp Asafoetida & turmeric  in a  pressure cooker.  I normally cook the dal for 5 minutes on low flame after one whistle and allow it to cool.   I now cook all the vegetables by adding very little water, salt and turmeric and pressure cook this till 2 to 3 whistles. 

In a kadai, add oil and saute 2 tbsp of finely cut onion.  Now low the flame and add Red Chilli powder  - 1/2 tbsp, Corriander powder - 1 tbsp & 1/2 tsp Asafoetida.  Saute this well.  Immediately add the cooked and mashed dal into this.  Add the Tamrind water / pulp to this dal and allow it to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.  Now add the cooked vegetables and cook for some time.  Now add 2 tbsp of Sambar Powder (I use Eastern Sambar Powder).  This would be available in any Kerala Stores.  Add the Curry leaves and add required water and boil the Sambhar for 2 to 3 minutes.  Check the salt and add if required.

In a small pan, add oil and put mustard seeds and broken red chilli & curry leaves and pour this tempering into the Sambhar.  Enjoy this delicious Curry with any South Indian dish.


  










Comments

Popular Posts