Masaledar Bharwan Baingan / Stuffed Brinjal / Eggplant

I loved cooking from a very young age and I remember making Stuffed Baingan (Brinjal / Eggplant) when I was in Class Xth.  I had made a thick paste of the Masala and  stuffed it in the Baingan (I remember using the purple coloured tiny Baingan).  It was very spicy but tasty and melted in the mouth! We had enjoyed this Sabji with hot Chapati's that my mother made.

I recently made this dish for a get together at my home for my society friends... It was very delicious and all my friends wanted to know the recipe and method of making this dish.  I had clicked step by step  pictures of the making of this dish on that day... Since my maid  did not come on that day, I was a bit pressurized to do all the cooking myself and my sister, Priya came to my rescue and helped me making the Roti's and frying the banana croquette.  In this mess, I  completely missed clicking the final picture of this dish :).

Vani, my friend in my society wanted me to help her cook this dish for her yesterday and hence I took this opportunity to click the final picture of the dish and also share the recipe for all those who wanted to know the method of cooking this dish!

Bharwan baingan is a delicious stuffed baingan or brinjal recipe.  The Baingan's are sliced lengthwise and filled up with the awesome blend of Indian spice powders and groundnut.   

I made this in Cooker (my best friend in the kitchen) and it was soft and juicy.   I got loads of compliments from Vani and I felt great when she said that I have inspired her to cook :)



Ingredients :

Brinjal / Baingan / Eggplant - 7 to 8
Finely cut onion - 1/4th cup
Chilly paste - 1 tsp
Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin & Corrainder powder /(Dhaniya-Jeera powder) - 2 tsp
Goda Masala or Kaala Masala - 1 tsp
Slightly Roasted Groundnut powder - 1/4th cup
Finely cut coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
Salt and Jaggery (powdered) as per taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin (Jeera seeds), Mustard and Asafetodia for tempering

Method :


Wash the Brinjals / Baingan.  Slit them length wise from the base towards the stalk, dividing  into half and soak this in salt water till you prepare the stuffing.  Mix all the ingredients upto salt and jaggery and mix it will with your hand and your stuffing is ready.  Now stuff the masala in the vegetable and keep aside.  Heat the oil in the cooker, add the ingredients for tempering and the stuffed Baingan and any leftover stuffing and mix gently. Slow the flame and put a plate with some water on the cooker and cook the baingan for some time.  You need to stir in between to ensure that the masala does not get burnt. You will observe that the colour of the vegetable changes after sometime.  Now add the water on the plate  that was covered on the cooker and more water required to make the gravy and enough salt in the Baingan and pressure cook this up to 2 to 3 whistles.  Soft, tender and yummy Bharwan Baingan is ready to eat!









Comments

Popular Posts