Simple Dal Fry - Enjoy with steaming hot rice!

This week, at my home we are getting Carpentry work done in my Kitchen... Imagine how messy it is.   I have to finish all my cooking work by 10:00 am before they started their work.  

The simple dish that I made yesterday in all this mess was Dal Fry, Steamed Rice & Karela Fry (Bitter gourd Fry).  The carpenters were busy with their work and I did not realize how quickly time passed as I was busy reading a book...

The Carpenters left around 1:00 pm and my daughter came back from school... I reheated the dal & rice and quickly served this simple but delicious combination of Dal Fry & Steamed Rice with Ginger curry & Karela Fry for lunch...

There is a saying in Hindi... "Peth Bhar Gaya Iekin Mann nahi bhara" :)  My stomach was full but I was wanting to eat more :) that was my situation...

I am sure after reading this post, you will also want to quickly make this Simple Dal Fry and treat your family to a delicious lunch!
So here we go...

Ingredients :

Yellow Moong Dal / Tuvar Dal - 1 cup (soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes)
Tumeric Powder - 1/4th tsp
Asafetodia - 1/4th tsp
Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
Grated Ginger - 1 tsp
Slit or Chopped Green Chillies - 2 to 3
Garlic 5 to 6 cloves
Salt to taste
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin (Jeera seeds), Mustard and Asafetodia for tempering
Chopped Corinader leaves       
Ripe Tomato - 1
Water - 2 to 3 cups

Method :

Thoroughly wash the soaked dal, add Turmeric Powder - 1/4th tsp, Asafetodia - 1/4th tsp, Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup, Grated Ginger - 1 tsp, Slit or Chopped Green Chillies - 2 to 3, Garlic cut into small pieces and add 2 to 2.5 cups of water and pressure cook the dal till is very soft.  Cool this mixture, add garam masala and mix it well.

In a Kadai, put oil, add the tempering and when it splutters, add the chopped tomato,
Pour the dal into this Tempering and add salt and required water and boil the dal well for some time.  Garnish with Corriander leaves and add a dash of lemon and serve hot with Steamed Rice or Chapati!












Comments

Popular Posts