Hibiscus Sherbet / Jaswand Sherbet - Refreshing drink for summer!

Last weekend was not that cheerful as I was unwell. Sunday morning had a mild headache which further worsened due to acidity.  The family suffers the most when the lady of the house is not in good health :(

It has been very hectic for me as I have to get up early in the morning and finish making Tiffin / breakfast for all at home and then rush to office.  I have been sleeping for around 6 to 7 hours... I guess that's the reason I fell sick and had to sleep the whole day yesterday :)

Today, I am feeling a bit better.. I tried having loads of Kokum Sherbet... had a cup of Vanilla Ice cream in the evening.  I just had little curd and rice as I did not want to go to sleep without eating something.

So.. friends you take care of yourself and ensure you sleep well and eat well... especially in this summer, have plenty of fluids and juices!

Today, I am going to share with you one such recipe that I learnt from my teacher, Smt. Shobha Indani.  I have made this several times at home.. and this Sherbet is very refreshing!  This Sherbet is made from the Hibiscus flower (the red coloured flower with 5 petals).  So friends, you can now grow this plant which has several medicinal values in your garden / balcony.

Darshanabai who works in my office would pluck me some flowers from the office garden whenever I require to make this Sherbet.  I also carry a large bottle of the Sherbet to office the next day for all my friends :)



Ingredients :

Hibiscus Red Coloured Flower - 5 to 6 (see picture below)
Lemon Juice 4 to 5 tsp
Salt - 1/4th tsp
Sugar 4 to 5 tbsp
Normal water - 2 cups
Cold water - 3 cups



Method :


Wash the flower through running water.  Remove the petals and throw away the other parts of the flower.  Take 2 cups of water and boil it.  Remove the water from gas and put the petals in the hot water.  Cover it and keep it aside till the water cools.  You will observe that the colour of the water is light purple.  Now strain this water and add 3 cups of Cold or chilled water, Sugar, Ice cubes & Lemon Juice.  You will see that the colour of the liquid changes to red colour once the you squeeze the lemon into this water.  Serve chilled and enjoy this drink!










Comments

Popular Posts