Poha Cutlet

In my office canteen, on Monday morning's the menu chalked out is Poha (a spicy dish made from beaten rice).  Our caterer makes good Poha and hence there is a demand from colleagues.  This dish needs to be eaten when it is really hot.   

In Kerala, this dish is normally made without adding turmeric and garnished with loads of coconut.  Most of the other ingredients remain the same.  My son calls this Ammama's White Aval Upma (as my mother makes Pohe (Aval Upma) without adding turmeric).

This dish that I am sharing with you today is Poha Cutlet which I have made on several occasions at home.  I read this recipe in a cookery book and made some addition to the ingredients.  I added boiled potato for the binding.   I conducted my first cooking class in December 2014 and this was also one of the dish that I thought my students :).  They all were amazed to learn that other than Poha, even cutlets could be with Poha. 

Poha Cutlet can be eaten for breakfast or at tea time with a strong cup of Coffee or my favourite Ginger tea.  This is very easy to make and you can pack this for your kids for their brunch tiffin.

You can choose to deep fry them, but shallow frying is what health conscious people would prefer :). I have made them in both ways and it tastes awesome!

So go ahead and make these Poha Cutlets and enjoy them hot with piping hot coffee / tea!



Ingredients :

Poha - 1 cup
Potato - 1 boiled
Besan (Gram Flour) - 1 tbsp
Finely cut green chillies - 2 tsp
Green Coriander - 2 tbsp
Finely cut onions - 1/4th Cup
Jeera powder - 1 tsp
Haldi - 1/4th tsp
Chaat Masala - 1 tsp
Salt, sugar and lemon juice
Oil to fry

Method :

Wash the Poha & keep aside for 10 minutes.  Stir  the onion and green chillies and transfer to a bowl. ( this is optional).  You can add the cut onions and chillies to the poha instead of stir frying them). Mix all other ingredients in the bowl and make small balls and flatten them on your palm like Veg cutlets.  You may choose to deep fry them in the oil or  shallow fry and serve with sauce / green chutney.

 
                                      







Comments

Popular Posts