Carrot Halwa / Gajar ka Halwa

Gajar ka Halwa is one of the most popular Indian dessert  made with Grated carrots, milk, sugar and nuts which are stirred and cooked together.

It was drizzling outside and my  daughter was not willing to go for her dance class... To get her into the mood of attending the class, I told her that we will go the shop and buy Carrots and make Carrot Halwa like her Grandmother makes and she needs to  help me with making the dish after she is back from her class.  She was very thrilled about this idea of her helping me to make the dish and we went to the nearby shop and I involved her in picking up the fresh red coloured carrots and also got her to give the shop keeper the money.  I dropped her to her class and went back home.

She returned back and checked if I had made the Halwa and I replied I was waiting for her to come back and help me :).  With a sweet little smile, she asked me what she needs to help me with.  I gave her little work i.e. take the milk out of the fridge, remove the skin of the cardamom, and to break the Cashews into pieces... she was very much involved in what she was doing;).  This is exactly what happens when you cook...put in all the efforts and your dish will be superb!

Let's get to the Kitchen to make this dish which takes some time but the result will be fabulous!!

Ingredients :

Cleaned washed and Grated Carrot - 2 cups
Ghee - 2 tsp
Whole Milk - 6 cups
Sugar - 1/2 Cup
Cardamom powder 1 tsp
Cahsewnuts - hand full

Method :


In a non stick pan put the grated carrot and stir fry the carrots till the raw smell leaves.  It should take around 2 to 3 minutes.  Now add the hot milk and allow this mixture to cook well.  Stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan till the liquid evaporates.  Add the sugar and cardamom powder and 1 tsp ghee cook for few more minutes.  Fry the Cashewnuts in 1 tsp ghee and transfer few to the halwa.  Rest of the Cashewnuts can be used for decorating the halwa.  

Your yummy and tasty halwa is ready to be served!








Comments

Popular Posts