Tomato Onion Chutney / Red Chutney

We normally make our chutneys using more of Coconut for Idli / Dosa / Wada etc.  I normally make an Instant Tomato Chutney which is my all time favourite : http://premasadukkala.blogspot.in/2015/03/instant-tomato-chutney-my-all-time.html. 

I tried making Tomato Onion Chutney which is normally made in Tamil Nadu and it was different from the Coconut base chutney.



I had treated all my bus members with Idli Chutney one morning... Shagufta missed the treat that day as she was unwell.  I decided to get her Idli Chutney another day... that day too she did not attend office :(.   The third time, I got it for her she was in the bus and I handed it over to her.. I told her also that Idli taste is the same but I tried making different chutneys all the time.

She shared with her team mates and Nilima Agarwal came to me after breakfast and said, Prema Mam, the chutney you made is very tasty... can you tell me the recipe.. I immediately told her how to make it.  Not sure if she remembered all the ingredients and the proportion.. but I am sure this post will help her and all my readers to make this hot and spicy tomato and onion chutney. You can perk up your meal with this chutney. I just loved the colour of the chutney once it was ready :)

So enjoy this version of Tomato Onion Chutney or Red Chutney and do leave your feedback and comments!

Ingredients :

Onions cut - 2 Medium
Tomato - 1 large
Dry Red Chillies - 2 to 3 (you can spice according to your taste)
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Asafetodia - 1 pinch
Oil - 1 tbsp (I use sunflower Oil)
Salt as required
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - a pinch
Jaggery - a small piece
Curry leaves

Method :

In a kadai, add the oil and heat it.  Now add the mustard seeds and Urad dal and saute till Urad dal is golden brown.  Add the onion and saute this till golden brown colour.  Add the Tomato and allow this mixture to cook well till the tomatoes get mushy. Add Asafetodia and put off the flame.  Allow this mixture to cool.  Heat the Red Chilli and add this with the cooked tomato, onion mixture add enough salt and the tamarind paste and jaggery and blend this to a soft puree.  

I have not used water for grinding the chutney.  You can adjust the spice and salt and transfer the same to a bowl.  You can serve the chutney as it is or temper the chutney with Mustard seeds, red chilli & curry leaves.  This is a great combination with any South Indian dish.  You can also enjoy it with Roti / Chapati.
















Comments

  1. Very tasty chutney recipe, sure to be good with idly, dosa, bajji. Please check http://rarelicious.wordpress.com for more South Indian , kids friendly and millets recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Will surely check and try them out :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts