Spicy Onion Chutney - ready in minutes!

My cousin sister, Hemlata Mohandas is settled in Kerala, Mahe… We visit her whenever we travel to Kerala… I remember the last we visited her, she had made Crispy Dosa’s and Onion Chuntney (Ulli chammanthi).  It was spicy and yummy and I kept licking my fingers… this was followed by a hot cup of Tea… It made my day! I got this recipe from her and it has been one of the favourite chutney’s that I make at home.

In Kerala, mostly our grandparents preferred having Rice kanji (rice gruel) for dinner.  This would be accompanied by chammanthi, papadam, thoren and not to miss the kadumaangaa or any uppilittathu (pickles) and sometimes Fried Fish.   The chutney or chammanthi would be different every day.  I loved this combination and did not have any fuss in eating this during my childhood days also.

The chutney or chammanthi elevates the taste of food, just like that spicy achaar with a bowl of rice and dal. The rice gruel is made with small brown rice and it is very tasty!    During the rainy days, the best combination for dinner for me is  hot kanji with a bit of salt, curd, papadam  and lots of chammanthi in the side plate. Even better, if it is ground on the ammikalu (grinding stone).

Today, I am posting this simple Ulli chammanthi that goes very well with Idli and any other South Indian breakfast.  Onion Chutney or Ulli chammanthi is made in a lot of ways in Kerala, one version uses the  Sambar onions / shallots simply crushed with green chillies, garlic and a dash of coconut oil to go with boiled kappa (tapioca - again one of my favourite  :) ).

The one I am making today has Big onions ,and dry red chillies & fresh Curry leaves as the main ingredients.... I know you must be eager to know how this is made ... Let's get ready to make this Spicy Onion / Ulli Chammanthi.



Ingredients :

Onions - 2 Big
Dry Red Chillies - 4 to 6 (you can adjust as per taste)
Curry leaves - 5 to 10
Tamarind - 2 small pieces
Oil - Coconut or any refined oil
Salt to taste

Method :

Add 1 tbsp of Oil in a Kadhai and add finely sliced Onions and fry them till they are golden brown.  Fry the red chillies and allow both to cool.  In a mixer, put the cooled Onions and chillies and add Fresh curry leaves and tamarind and salt as per taste and grind this to a fine chutney / chammanthi.  You may add very little water if required. It tastes divine with any South Indian breakfast dish!


Enjoy and do not forget to post your comments!








Comments

  1. It is very quick, delicious and tangy.

    I started visiting your blogs whenever I am running out of ides and always find something to try ...

    Thanks Prema :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all time favorite cutney for neer dosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback!!!! Do check out other recipes on the blog any my Youtube Channel!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts