Sour and Spicy Malwani Fish Curry


The first time I went to buy fish was after I got married.  I did not know how to chose the right fish, clean it nor cook it.  I remember sitting and watching my mother cut the fish when I was a kid... so definitely had some idea of cleaning fish.  My mother came to my rescue whenever I had to cook fish, as she would give me tips and recipes to cook the dish.

My children don't  like to eat fish... so it is for just both of us I make the fish curry.  My colleague at office, Manasi Dalvi always mentioned about Ganesh Peth a place in Pune city where you get fresh fish in wholesale rate.  

Recently, I had gone to Mr. Avinash Kulkarni's house in the B wing of our society and were discussing about Konkan, it's beauty and the food served there.  He also told me about Ganesh Peth and also mentioned that he is going to the Fish market  (Ganesh Peth) the next day and also invited us to accompany him.  We got up very early in the morning and left from our house at 6:15 am in the morning and reached the market.  For some time, I just did not want to go inside because of the bad stink :(.  I finally had no choice, but enter the market... to my surprise, people came from far and near to this market to buy fish.  I picked up 3 Kg different variety fish from the market.  The rates are also much reasonable than the retail market.  Mr. Kulkarni also told me the technique to store the fish after cleaning it.

The first thing I did after reaching home, was cleaning the fish and after adding enough salt to the fish, put them in air tight containers and stored them in the freezer.  For 2 weeks, I made variety of dishes with different kinds of fish.

I will share with you  Sour and Spicy Malwani fish curry made with Black Pomfret Fish.

Ingredients :
·         
      Cleaned and cut Black Pomfret Fish - 3 to 4 pieces
·         Salt as per taste
·         Oil - 1 tbsp
·         Kokum - (soak in water 4 to 5 petals)
·         Water as required
·         Corriander leaves

Mix salt to the fish and keep it aside

For the Masala :
·         
      Grated fresh coconut - 1 cup
·         Corriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
·         Red Chillies - 7 to 8
·         Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
·         Tamarind - 1 tbsp

Grind all the above ingredients to a fine paste.

I have used earthen pot to make the curry.  You may use non stick pan or any aluminum vessel.

Method :

Heat the earthen pot and add oil.  Add the ground masala and cook for some time and stir occasionally.  Now add enough water, Squeeze the Kokum and add the water and allow to cook for some time.  When this mixture is boiling add the marinated fish pieces, add enough salt and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.  You may add chilli powder, in case you want to increase the spice.  Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice!

Enjoy and do leave your feedback and comments!















Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipes. Could you please also write about preserving techniques for fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.. You need to clean the fish well and remove all the excess water from the vessel. Now add enough salt and mix well. Put the fish pieces into air tight containers and deep freeze them. They will stay good for 2 weeks :). Hope this is helpful!

      Delete
  2. Thanks. Just to know, is market open other than Sunday? And is it open even after early morning?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts