Sweet Idiyappam


Kerala food is healthy, quick to make with minimal ingredients...

It was a big luxury for us as children when Mom made Idiyappam / Rice Sevai / String Hopper for all of us for breakfast.  We enjoyed eating it hot just out of the steamer!  She used to make Spicy Kadala (Chana) Curry that accompanied this dish.   My sister preferred eating the sweet version with loads of coconut and sugar :) . This combination is also very popular among children.

I did not have the Idiyappam Press which is required to make this dish when I got married.  My grandmother gifted me the Brass Idiyappam Press which I have been using for past so many years!

When I organized my first live counter event that was organized in September 2015, this was one of the dishes on the menu card and believe me, this dish sold like hot cakes :).   I remember few of my colleagues, Hima and her kids, Tripuri, Meenal, Meghana from office had dropped in at the Venue and enjoyed this dish!.  We had some Idiyappams that was left over, I stored them in the fridge and made Upma out of it the next morning!

So without wasting much time, you may note down the ingredients required to make Idiyappam (sweet version).  

I will shortly post the recipe for Spicy Kadala Curry which is also a great combination with this dish!

Ingredients : 
2 cups of rice flour (you can get readily from the market)
2 to 2.5 cups of water (more or less)
Salt to taste
Grated  Coconut - 1/2 cup
Sugar - As per taste
Ghee : 1/2 tsp 



Method : 
Mix the rice flour and salt together. Heat the water until bubbles start appearing .  Switch off the gas and allow the water to cool for some time.   Slowly pour the hot water little by little into the rice flour and mix with your hand or a wooden spoon.  Knead this well and keep aside.   Ensure that the dough is smooth yet firm.
Make a cylindrical shape of the dough and place into the idiyappam maker, close the lid and hand press the dough into swirls onto the idli plates.  Steam for 12-15 minutes and allow it to cool a bit. Serve warm with fresh grated coconut, sugar and ghee (optional).   As I mentioned earlier, this can also be eaten with coconut milk, Stew, Chana Curry, Chicken or Egg curry.
















Comments

Popular Posts