Spicy Kadala (Chana / Chickpea) Curry

On Valentine's Day, I got Silk chocolate for Rajesh and held the chocolate behind me and asked him to guess what I had got for him.... this is one way you get to know what the other person is expecting from you :).  The first one he mentioned was Wallet, Perfume etc. etc.  Rajesh celebrated his birthday on 19th Feb 2016 and on 14th Feb itself I knew what gift I should be arranging for him this year.

On 18th Feb, I went shopping for his Wallet and picked up a rose for him on the way and kept both of it in a place where only I could locate them :) .  Before he reached home I made Chocolate balls and kept them in the fridge.

As usual, when he was back home from work, I gave him dinner and went to bed.  He had lot of expectations that I would arrange for a cake at 12:00 am in the night and also give him a gift :).  I was fast asleep and did not fulfill this wish.  The next day morning, I arranged the flower, the gift and the chocolate balls on the dining table where he usually takes his early morning call.  When I gave him his bed tea, and said I am leaving for office, he said you have changed... You didn't wish me... today is ,my birthday... I pretended that I had forgotten and said... Oh I am so bad, how could I forget your birthday.  I asked what he wanted as a gift which I would get him in the evening.  He was upset and said it's okay... I left for office... and in minutes I received a SMS saying.. Thank you for everything... I love you!  The gift, the flower and the chocolates... yes! it was a pleasant surprise for him :).

The morning breakfast was also special that day.  I made Plain Idiyappam  and Spicy Kadala (Chana) Curry for him. am sure I made his day :)

You can go through the recipe for sweet Idiyappam which is already posted.

Kadala Curry & Idiyappam is a great combination.. This is one of the famous & delicious styles of making this curry. Normally in many Kerala kitchens the combination of breakfast will be Puttu (Rice Funnel Cake) with kadala curry. Kerala traditional masala roasted & grounded to a fine paste & chickpea cooked in masala paste gives a special flavor. Do try this recipe and let me know your feedback!!



Ingredients :

Black Channa (black chickpea / bengal gram) – 1 cup
Onion (chopped) – 1 cup
Coconut (grated) – ½  cup
Coriander powder – 1½ tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp (you can adjust the spice to your taste)
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - ½ tsp
Curry leaves
Salt
Oil
Mustard seeds
Red chillies

Method :

First, soak the black channa (black chickpea / bengal gram) for at least ten hours by adding salt. Cook the black channa well and keep it aside.  Add Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Salt, Garam Masala, 1/2 cup Onion to the Black Chana and Cook this for around 10 to 15 minutes.

Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan. Put the remaining onions and saute till the colour changes.  Now add grated coconut and fry until it turns brown. To this, add coriander powder. Stir all the ingredients until it becomes brown. Lastly, add the Pepper powder. Add enough water and make a paste of this mixture and keep it aside.  Open the lid of the cooker and add the ground masala to the cooked Chana and allow it boil well. Add sufficient water and salt.

Take a pan and heat some coconut oil / Refined oil. Put some finely cut onions and saute well, now add mustard and add red chillies. When it begins to splutter, add the curry leaves and stir gently. You may now add this tempering to the Spicy Chana Curry.

Serve it with Puttu / Idiyappam / Dosa. It is a great combination to relish!!


















Comments

Popular Posts