White Peas (Vatana) Usal

I am born and brought up in Pune and so I can fluently speak the local language Marathi and also I do not look like a Keralite and many a times people mistake me to be a Maharashtrian :) .

I love Maharashtrian Cuisine  and especially all the spicy stuff :).  Misal Pav is one of my favourite dishes... I carry my breakfast tiffin to office... but the day we have Misal Pav in the office canteen I end up eating my tiffin and Misal Pav and I skip lunch or have something light :)

Ria, my daughter is very choosy about eating vegetables... but somehow she likes to eat Usal made from sprout, peas etc.

I recently made White Peas (Vatana) Usal  at home and this is very easy to make and goes very well with Roti / Puri.  I also served this with Pav...This will taste good with steaming hot rice too...

Let me share the quick recipe with you for making the White Peas Usal.




Ingredients :

White Peas - 1 cup (soak overnight)
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Cumin, Mustard & Asafetodia for tempering
Finely cut Onions - 1/2 cup
Garlic Paste - 2 sp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Green Chilly paste - 1 tbsp
Coriander - Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Tomato Puree - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Corriander leaves
Water - 1 cup

Method :

Wash the Peas and add turmeric, 1 cup water and cook upto 10 minutes in the pressure cooker.

Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering.  To this add cut onions, ginger, garlic paste, chilly paste and saute for some time.  Now add the masala and saute for a minute.  To this add the tomato puree and saute this well.  Now add the cooked white peas, salt and cook for around 5 minutes.  Garnish with corriander leaves and add lemon juice and serve hot with Roti / Puri / Bread /Pav or Rice!


Don't forget to share your feedback :)









Comments

Popular Posts