Sweet Mango Pachadi - Sweet, Sour & Spicy!

There are various varieties of mangoes available in the market... I guess the mango tastes best when you directly pluck it from the tree and consume it.   It is not possible these days in the city and we depend to buy them from the market.

Who does not love to eat mangoes?.. I and my children love this in any form.  My husband will just eat a piece of the fruit.  Recently, when we went to Konkan for a vacation, we purchased few dozens of mangoes from the roadside vendor.  We got good Alphonso Mangoes, juicy and sweet... I distributed some to my parents and in-laws and rest of it the children had them every day.  I just finished eating the last mango before writing this blog.. it tasted amazing and look forward to having more of this fruit this season :)

All of you must have made Milkshakes, desserts with mangoes or just enjoyed eating the fruit.  The dish that I am sharing with you today is a sweet and spicy pachadi.   If you have gone through my blogs, I have also posted the recipe for Bittergourd Pachadi... the ingredients are almost the same.

Recently, one of my senior colleague at office Mrs. Aruna Sawant wanted to know the recipe for some South Indian dishes as she was expecting her daughter in-laws parents visiting her home.  They are from the South.  I immediately sent her few of the links from my blog for South Indian dishes.  I also jotted down the recipe for Mango Pachadi and emailed it to her.  The next day I had made this Pachadi and also packed some for Aruna.




I met Aruna last week at the lunch table and she said Prema... I tried your Mango Pachadi recipe and my guests enjoyed this dish :).  Thanks Aruna for your feedback & motivation!

I learnt this dish from my mother...  Sweet Mango pachadi is one of my favorite. So if you are a person who likes sweet, sour and slightly spicy flavours in a dish then do give this a try. It goes well even with rotis.

Ingredients :

Sweet Mangoes - 2
Roasted Red Chillies - 4 to 5
Fresh grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Mustard Seeds - 1/4th tsp
Sour Curd - 1/3rd cup
Curry leaves - 5 to 7
Musatard Seeds
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly - 1

Method :

De skin the mangoes and cut them into small pieces.  Add salt to the mangoes and mash it with your hands and keep it aside.  Now, grind the grated coconut along with red chilly and little water and make a fine paste.  Lastly, add the mustard seeds and grind it again. Add  this ground coconut mixture to the mashed mangoes. Also add a little water if required. The consistency should be semi solid.  Now add the curd and mix well.  Check the salt etc. Temper with mustard,  seeds, curry leaves and red chili. Garnish with curry leaves.


Prepare them around 11:00 am and by lunch time it tastes amazing... Serve it as a side dish with rice or enjoy them with Roti / Paratha!













Comments

Popular Posts