Baingan Kebab / (Eggplant / Aubergine Kebab)

Last week on Thursday, my maid had informed the children that she would be taking an off on Friday…  We expected that she would be back on Saturday.  My weekend plans went for a toss when she did not return back  on Saturday and I had to do all the work at home on the weekend and she joined back work on Monday.  I guess most of you go through this nightmare often at your homes too :(.

My kids came to my rescue… My daughter Ria, helped me with putting the clothes in the cupboard, Dhiraj, my son helped me clean the rooms, my washing machine washed all my clothes…. After doing all the work, it was a bit difficult to cook a complete meal for lunch and dinner.  I had soaked Rajma (Kidney beans) for making Rajma curry for Dinner but finally ended up making Kebab’s out of them on Saturday night.  When kids had the Kebab, they asked me if it was Chicken Kebab.  It was very soft and yummy!  My camera’s card required to be charged and hence could not capture the pictures step by step.   I will soon be posting the detailed recipe of this dish with all of you once I make this dish again.

The next day on Sunday was Mother’s Day… We did not have any special celebration at home. My Mom-in-law & Father-in-law visited us that evening. We had a South Indian menu for lunch that afternoon.   I had decided to make Baingan Kebab’s (Eggplant / Aubergine Kebab) that day… a treat for all from “Amma” (that’s what kids call me).  After having lunch, I took a nap and felt fresh after that small break :).  I usually don’t sleep in the afternoon on holidays… I guess I was very tired that afternoon.   After I got up, I started making preparations for the Kebab’s.   By the time, my in law’s were at home for tea, I finished making the Kebab’s.  I made an accompaniment with the Kebab’s i.e. Sour Cream dip which was very simple but tasted amazing!.   All of them enjoyed the Kebab’s which were just out of the pan.  My Mom-in-law praised me and said that it tasted very delicious!

Both my children wanted more Kebab’s and after they finished eating, I asked them to guess the dish and when I told them that it was Baigan ke Kebab they did not believe me and concluded that Baingan tastes awesome in the form of Kebab.  So, if you have kids, who do not eat Baingan (Eggplant).. this is one way to make them eat this vegetable  :) 

Today, I will share the recipe of Baingan Kebab.  The Sour cream dip recipe will be posted soon.  This can be a great accompaniment with chips or any fried snack.   Go ahead and make them for your family and friends… Don’t forget to leave your comments!



Ingredients :

Baingan / Eggplant / Aubergine - 200 gms
Dhaliya (Broken wheat) 1/4th Cup (soak it for an hour in water)
Grated Paneer / Cottage Cheese - 1/4th Cup
Finely chopped green chillies - 1 tbsp
Finely chopped Garlic - 1tbsp
Grated ginger - 2 tsp
Corn Flour - 2 tbsp

For the coating :

Crushed Corn Flakes - 1/2 cup
Oil to cook the kebabs

Method:

Wash the Baingan and dry it with a cloth.  Apply some oil on the vegetable and roast on a gas cook top by just placing the Baingan straight on the burner and keeping the flame on low setting. Keep turning and cooking till all the skin on the Baingan is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.  Now remove the burnt cover and mash this Baingan in a container.
Wash the soaked Dhaliya and grind it coarsely in a mixer.  Now add this to the mashed Baingan.  Add the grated paneer, chopped chillies and garlic, grated ginger and corn flour and make a soft dough.  Make Tikki's out of this and coat the Tikki on both sides with Crushed corn flakes.  On a non stick pan, apply little oil and low flame cook these Kebabs on both sides and serve them hot with green chutney & Sour cream.















 

Comments

Popular Posts