Instant Mango Pickle - Tangy and lipsmacking!


How many of you remember going to your native place during the summer vacations and enjoying eating mangoes sitting under the mango tree??

I remember waking up early morning around 5:00 am and going into the woods with my cousins during our visit to Kerala during my school days.  My cousins used to carry torches and we used to carry big bags to collect the mangoes some were ripe and some were raw.   Those days were fun days….our children hardly got to enjoy these fun moments as my parents and in-laws are settled in Pune.

I remember my grandmother making this instant Mango Pickle with the mangoes we used to take back home and the food plate would be complete with this tangy and lip smacking pickle. 

We used to enjoy our food thoroughly and I remember taking some extra rice and simply eating the pickle with the rice… I am dedicating this post to my grandmother who is no more with us… but she is remembered immensely by all of us… We miss you Ammama!

Ingredients :

1 Raw Mango – Cut into fine pieces
2 tbsp – Red Chilli Powder
1/4th tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Fenugreek seeds – 5 to 10
Mustard seeds – 1/4th tsp
Asafetodia – 1/4th tsp (hing)
Sesame Oil / Any cooking oil
Curry leaves

Method :

Wash and cut the raw mangoes to fine pieces (this is an important step in this recipe).   Mix the mango with chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.  Heat a Kadai and add the oil.  When hot, low the flame and add in the mustard and fenugreek seeds, curry leaves when they splutter add in Asafetodia and saute well. Put off the flame and add in the mango mixture and mix this well in the oil.  You can use this instantly with your rice / dosa etc.   Transfer to a clean and dry bottle and refrigerate when not in use.

Do try the recipe and don’t forget to send me your feedback and comments!

Will be back with another recipe of quick mango chutney… so stay tuned!!













Comments

Popular Posts