Spicy Kerala Fish Curry

There was lot of excitement in the month of February this year.... We were looking forward to attending Arundhati (my colleague's)  Mehendi ceremony and her wedding... On the Mehendi day, Meghana (my colleague) and I attended the Mehendi function and got Mehendi done on both our hands and got glass bangles filled in both hands... We had amazing food organized on this occasion and had a fantastic time together! 

During that week, Rajesh's friend Usha had also come down from the US..She took us out for dinner the day she arrived in Pune and the next day we went out for a movie in the afternoon and had light lunch with another friend and her family.  Since I had to attend the Mehendi function in the evening, I cooked dinner for them early in the evening and made some steamed rice, fish curry and fish fry and papadam which Usha enjoys eating!.   They dropped me to the Mehendi Ceremony, and came back to pick me again.

We reached home and I served dinner to both of them... and I could actually see my hubby and Usha thoroughly enjoying the dinner...  Usha had recently called me from the US and wanted me to post the recipe of this Spicy Kerala Fish curry which I learnt from my Mom in law!  This post is dedicated to our friend Usha!

Time to note down the ingredients and method of cooking the dish....

Ingredients :

Surmai Fish - washed & cleaned - 4 to 6 pieces
Chopped ginger - 1 tsp
Chopped garlic - 4 to 5 cloves
Shallots  (small onions) finely chopped - 1 cup
Curry leaves
Malabar tamarind (Kudampuli) - 2 to 3 (you will get this in any Kerala stores)

Masala :

Methi (fenugreek) seeds -1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1.5 tbsp
Methi seeds powder - 1/4th tsp
Oil
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1 tsp

Method :

This dish tastes amazing if cooked in  Meen Chatti (earthen pot).

Wash the tamarind thoroughly and then soak it in hot water.  Wash and clean the fish and apply some salt, lemon, turmeric and little chilli powder and keep the fish aside.  Take the Meen Chatti add 2.5 tbsp of oil.  On low flame heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and Methi seeds and allow to splutter.  Now add the shallots , garlic and saute well till colour changes.  Add the curry leaves and mix all the masala with little water and transfer it in the sauted onion and cook for a 2 minutes on low flame.  This ensures that the masala does not burn.   Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water and add the tamarind pieces in this water and allow it to boil.  Now add the fish pieces and allow it to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.  Pour 1 tbsp of coconut oil over the curry and serve this with steaming hot Rice or Kappa (Boiled Tapioca).

Tip - In case you need to make fish for lunch, make it early in the morning or if it is for dinner, prepare this in the afternoon and this helps the masala to mix well and the taste is awesome.

Don't forget to drop in your feedback!


























Comments

  1. Thanks so much Prema. Love you.. You are the best... - Usha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Prema,

    Its so tasty.. I cooked this fish curry recipe today and used King Fish.. Its so awesome..

    Thanks
    Usha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerala Fish Curry is new to me.I am Basically from Hyderabad But I love dishes made with coconut oil and making it in a Fresh fish will surely enhance the taste. thanks for the recipe. Check our restaurants Andhra Style Foods

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Riya... thanks for the feedback!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts