Mirch Ka Salan

I was in Kerala in the 3rd  week of August for my cousins wedding and did not find time to blog... am back home now... must say home sweet home!  I missed my family a lot as I travelled with my parents during this trip. 

I am not used to sitting idle... so me and my mother, visited various temples and did some shopping during this trip.  The best part of this trip was we enjoyed good vegetarian meals! The Sadhya at the wedding reminded me of the Onam Sadhya :).  I learnt few recipes from one of the restaurants we visited & would soon be experimenting them at home and also sharing them with all of you!

Before I left for my trip, Charu & Reena, our working partners had come to office for renewal of our Insurance policies... After our meeting, while leaving, Reena mentioned that they would be coming to visit us soon and mentioned that they look forward to enjoying some home cooked food by me!  One week before I left for Kerala, I made Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani & Mirch Ka Salan and took it to office for all of them.  My office colleagues along with Charu & Reena had a great time and enjoyed the lunch & they were all praises for me.. Prashant Sabnis, my manager sponsored the Rasgulla's after lunch.

I am sharing with you the recipe of Mirch ka Salan and hope to share the Hyderabadi Dum Biryani recipe also soon with all of you!  I have not tasted the original recipe of Mirch ka Salan but when I had made this earlier and taken to office, my ex colleague, Arundhati mentioned that it tasted same like the one she had at a restaurant at Hyderabad..

Take a quick look at the recipe :

Ingredients :

Groundnut - 4 tbsp (dry roast on low flame & keep aside & the dry roast the below ingredients. Sesame, Poppy & Coconut i.e on low flame)
Sesame Seeds - 3 tbsp
Dry coconut - 2 tbsp
Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 2 cloves
Garam Masala  - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric  Powder - 1/4 tsp
Methi Seeds - 5 seeds (optional)
Water as required
Bhavnagiri Chillies - 6 (slit in centre & deseed them & fry them in 4 to 5 tbsp of oil
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Tamarind water - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - a piece
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves

Method :

In a pan dry roast the groundnut and keep them aside.  Now dry roast the poppy seeds, sesame seeds and the dry coconut on low flame till they turn aromatic.  Put this in a blender and add the ginger, garlic ,turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, methi seeds and little water and blend to a smooth paste.

In the same pan add 5 tbsp of oil, deseed the Bhavnagiri Chillies and fry them till blisters appear and keep them aside.  Now add the cumin seeds and curry leaves in the same oil and saute them.  Add the finely chopped onions and saute till the colour changes to golden brown.  Add the grounded masala paste and saute well.  Add the tamarind water, salt and jaggery and mix well.   Add 2 cups of water and close the lid and simmer for 30 minutes till the oil separates.  Now add the fried chillies and coriander leaves and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Serve with Dum Biryani / Roti, Puri etc.

Enjoy and leave your feedback!















Comments

Popular Posts