Steamed Roti Roll Wadi

The first time I knead the dough for making Fulkas / Chapati was when I was studying in school.  Right from the time I was a kid, I loved to work in the kitchen and try to experiment with food :).  Rolling the chapati into a round and even shape came naturally to me...I have heard many people say, it is so tough to get that round shape of the Chapati / Roti /Fulka.
My family prefers to have Fulka for lunch / dinner. It is soft and when consumed hot, one does not realize how many Fulka's one has consumed. :).  There were days, when I used to come back home after work and cook food... but now with kids / studies and different projects to complete in school.. the option was to hire a maid to making the evening dinner.
I remember once having made Egg Kurma for lunch...  You can check my blog for this recipe.  It was very yummy...  I decided to make the Fulkas and serve it hot to family members.  These are best when freshly made, direct on the plate from the stove. You bet, it is so difficult to control the urge to eat more than the daily quota of rotis when they are served hot. If a favorite curry is made than one could end up eating unlimited number of fulkas.
By the time they all had lunch, I did not have energy to even think of having my lunch.  My husband  observed this and said,next time, you prepare the Fulaks prior to having dinner rather than serving it right on the plate... I still make the Fulkas once in a while and serve it direct on the plate from the stove... but now my hubby dear ensures that he feeds me from his plate while I cook... so there is some energy left by the time I finish making the food :).  

There are several occasions, when Fulkas are not consumed.... You also need not worry anymore if you have some leftover Roti's / Fulkas
.  I make Steam Roti Roll Wadi's out of the left over Roti's the next day and everyone loves this dish at home!
I recently made Fulkas in the afternoon and some were left over.  The same evening, I made these Roti roll wadi and my inlaws had come over and my Mom in law praised me and said "this dish is very tasty". 
You may jot down the ingredients and the method to make this mouth watering snack!
Ingredients :

Wheat flour Fulka :10
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds & Asafetodia for tempering
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Dried Red Chilli - 2 (broken into pieces)
Curry leaves - 1 strand
Red Chilli Powder -1 tsp
Salt and Chaat Masala as per taste
Lemon Juice - half lemon
Grated fresh coconut
Coriander leaves

For making the paste :
Besan / Gram Flour - 1 cup
Asafetodia - 1 pinch
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Green Chilli paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4th tsp
Coriander - Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Salt and sugar to taste
Oil - tbsp
Curd / Yoghurt - 2 tbsp
Soda - a pinch
Water as required

Method :

Add all the ingredients for making the paste and by adding little water, make a thick medium paste.

Now take 3 Fulkas and with the help of a spoon apply the paste on the first Fulka well.  Put another Fulka on to it and apply the paste to this Fulka.  Keep the 3rd Fulka and make a tight roll.  Apply some paste on the roll and put the rolls in a steamer and allow it to steam for 10 to 15 minutes.  Allow this roll to cool down.  With the help of a sharp knife you may cut these rolls into half inch slices.

In a Kadhai add oil and when hot, add the Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds & Asafetodia.  Now add the Sesame seeds and saute till the colour changes.  Now put the broken Red Chilli, curry leaves and saute for a minute.  Add  the cut roti rolls, red chilli powder, salt, chaat masala and lemon juice and cook this for some time on high flame and then on low flame.  Serve hot in a plate and garnish with fresh grated coconut and Coriander leaves... Enjoy this Steamed Roti Roll Wadi for breakfast or Tea time!

Look forward to your valuable comments and feedback!














Comments

Popular Posts