Dadpe Pohe - Uncooked version of flattened rice (A famous Maharashtrian dish)

 


I have been planning to write couple of blogs since few weeks…my laptop charger was not working.  I finally got the new charger yesterday.  Due to online classes Ria has also been using the laptop so was unable to share recipes with all of you.

I was introduced to Dadpe Pohe a Maharashtrian breakfast / snack during my office days.  Mahajan Kaku our caterer used to bring them for evening snack.    

Leena Kurup, my neighbour once send me a plate full of Dadpe Pohe and my daughter who does not eat the normal Kanda Pohe just finished this dish in couple of minutes.  I was so happy to see her finish the dish.   I knew how to make this dish but never knew that I could make it with thick Poha also. Coincidentally, I saw this recipe shared by my colleague Ankita Keer Deshpande on FB and I was happy that I could make this dish with thick Poha also.  Thank you Ankita for that tip!!!

This dish is normally made with thin Poha (beaten rice), freshly grated coconut and other ingredients.  There is no cooking involved in this recipe. The Dadpe Pohe is tempered with mustard seeds, Green chillies, Asafetodia and curry leaves.  Since my daughter does not like tempering I make it without the tempering and it tastes super yummy!  So here is the recipe…

Ingredients:

3 Cups Pohe (beaten rice) – roast in a Kadai for 3 to 4 minutes
1 onion finely chopped
1 small cucumber finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
Half cup fresh grated coconut
Coconut Water (Optional)
3 tbsp. masala peanuts / salted peanuts
1/4th cup Pomegranate
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice of half lemon
Coriander leaves finely chopped 

Tadka (Tempering)

½ tbsp oil
½ tsp Mustard Seeds
1 pinch asafetodida
Curry leaves few

Method & Detailed pictures of the process :

Heat a Kadai and dry roast the Poha on medium flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.  The Poha will look crispy by now.  Transfer this into a bowl.  Add in the onions, chillies, cucumber, fresh grated coconut, salt, sugar, lemon juice, chilli powder, coriander leaves, pomegranate, masala peanuts and sprinkle the coconut water  and mix this well with your hands. 

In case you like tempering, heat oil in a Kadai.  When the oil is hot, add in the mustard and once it splutters, add the Asafetodia and curry leaves and pour it over the Dadpe Pohe.. Mix well and garnish with grated coconut, masala peanuts and coriander leaves and serve.  I have not added tempering in this recipe as Ria my daughter does not like mustard seeds.

Do try the recipe and I would really be thankful if you can pin it or share this with your Facebook / Instagram or Twitter followers!  

All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post. This will definitely keep me motivated.



















Comments

Popular Posts