Stuffed Bittergourd / Bharwan Karela




Karela or Bittergourd,  I am a big fan of this vegetable..:). I like it in all forms, crispy Karela, chips, pachadi, bharwan karela, pickle etc.  I cook this as a side for lunch or dinner accompanied by Rice & Sambar.

It is  although quite bitter when raw, but has a wonderful taste once it is cooked properly. It is a low calorie vegetable which has many nutritional benefits.  Karela provides us with protein, calcium, iron and vitamins. Stuffing the karela with a blend of spices makes it very palatable.

As per traditional medicines of India, Bitter gourd juice is consumed as a relief to Diabetes too. It reduces the blood glucose level.

One day prior to making the dish, I decided to cut the vegetable and apply the salt and allow it to rest. I was to make it for our lunch box the next day.  I was making it for the 2nd time and was not very sure what would be my husband, Rajesh's reaction when he opens his tiffin to have lunch as he prefers a gravy sabji with Roti :).  That morning was hectic .  When I was about to pack Ria, my daughter's tiffin, she saw the Karela sabzi and said I don't want this for tiffin.... gosh what should I now pack for her lunch... The roti's were ready and making another sabzi... I did not have the time to finish and leave for office.   I had made  Corn & Capsicum  filling for Sandwiches that morning.  I used the same filling to make Roti Rolls for her.  She was so happy and said she wanted to taste a piece... She does not have breakfast so early in the morning... so when she demanded for something to eat, I quickly gave her a piece in a plate. After she ate the roti roll, she said Mama, put this on your blog it's awesome:) and demanded for one more roll which I happily made for her!  I could not click pictures of the Sandwiches / Rolls and  will  soon post the recipe for all of you as per demand from Ria :).

When me and friends were having lunch that afternoon, I told them, that I am not sure what would be the feedback from Rajesh on Karela bharwan sabzi packed for lunch... they all tasted and said it is awesome! 

I did get a good feedback from Rajesh... he said it was something different than the normal sabzi...Yesterday night, Rajesh told me that his friends at office were asking if I had posted the recipe on the blog... so this recipe is dedicated to his friends at CTS!

Take a look at the recipe and do make it for your family and friends!

Ingredients :

Bitter Gourd / Karela - 3 to 4
For masala :
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Corriander - Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
Goda Masala or Kala Masala - 1 tsp
White sesame seeds / Til - 2 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp
Groundnut powder - coarsely ground - 3 tbsp
Salt and Jaggery to taste
Mustard-Jeera-Asafetodia for tempering
Oil - 2 tbsp

Method :

Wash the Karela and cut them into medium pieces.  Give a slit and remove the seeds from the vegetable.  Apply salt and allow it to rest for an hour or two.  Wash the Karela thoroughly with water.  Now add water in the Karela and cook it till they are tender and keep aside. 

Mix all the ingredients for the masala and make the barwan (stuffing) and fill this in the Karela.  Heat oil in a kadai and add the tempering and add the stuffed karela in the oil and saute for a while.  Now close the kadai with a plate and cook on low flame.  Pour some water on the plate and let the vegetable get cooked.  You may saute the vegetable in between so that it does not get burnt.  I added some water from the plate to the vegetable to make a thick gravy (this is optional).  Once the vegetable is well cooked.. you can serve this with Roti's.























Comments

Popular Posts